SONGFIRE™ Theatre Apprenticeship
June 2-22, 2013
"If Art Song is to have a future, this is surely the way to do it. Tonight's performance
opened the doors of comprehension. What a revelation!"
- Winnipeg Virtuosi Series, 2005.
Experience the world's first Art Song Theatre Apprenticeship program, as Art Song moves from the recital to claim its place on the theatrical stage. SONGFIRE™ Theatre breaks new ground in the presentation of Art Song, bringing the highest creative standards to a new canon of multi-media works. Participate in the production of new works in Art Song Theatre, coached and directed by distinguished singers, pianists, actors, and opera directors.
SONGFIRE™ is a program for Singers and Pianists with advanced training in Opera or Collaborative Piano. A maximum of 12 singers and 3 pianists will be guided by Professors Gayle Shay, Director of Opera at Vanderbilt University, Gayle Murphy, of UBC Department of Theatre and Film, David Walsh of University of Minnesota, Rena Sharon, UBC Music and Artistic Director of VISI, with additional coachings by Profs. Benjamin Butterfield, François Le Roux, Laura Loewen, and others in the preparation and performance of full-scale Art Song Theatre production.
Please click here for a brief history of SONGFIRE™ Theatre.
A day at VISI’s SONGFIRE™ Apprenticeship may include:
Morning activities with the whole VISI community, or theatre workshop
Musical coaching with voice and piano faculty artists
Dramatic Recitation work with theatre faculty artists
(PLEASE NOTE: SONGFIRE™ students will NOT coach with Graham Johnson, but will have access to audit those classes)
VISI was one of the most rewarding artistic programs I have been involved with.
I was able to be in one of the most beautiful places of the world,
to sing some of the most incredible music I have ever studied,
and to work with teachers that supported me and developed my love of this art form.
I have nothing but fond memories and gratitude for my time at VISI. - Former Participant
SONGFIRE™ Theatre Apprentice Application Criteria and Deadline:
To apply for acceptance to the Apprenticeship program please follow this steps:
1. Submit your online application and pay the $50 application fee.
2. Compile and submit the required support materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional materials may be requested.
The deadline for Registration for this program is February 28th, 2013. You are welcome to inquire about limited late acceptance and waiting list options.
Required Application Support Materials for Singers and Pianists
1. Résumé of your training and performance experience
2. Signed PDF letter of recommendation from your most recent teacher
3. Digital photo (jpg format)
4. recording or video (video is preferred) of two contrasting songs in any language. Arias are not accepted. Pianists should also include a solo piano work or substantial chamber work. Recordings should be sent as mp3s, YouTube links, or other electronic format
5. A comprehensive list of song repertoire you have performed
6. A list of 5 songs (French, German and English songs) you would like to study and perform at VISI. (Please note that songs that performed at VISI need to be memorized).
For Actors, Writers, and Directors
1. A resume of your training and theatre experience
2. A sample of your written work, or video of theatre production. Video should be sent in online or other electronic viewing format.